You need :
For batter :
- 1 cup of raw rice
- 1/2 cup of urad dhal
- 1/2 cup of poha/avalakki
- 1 teaspoon of poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds
- salt to taste
Fenugreek seeds and poha helps make the dosa soft.
- Soak the rice separately and all the other ingredients together for about 4-5 hours.
- Grind all the ingredients together to make a fine paste. Add the salt.
- Allow the batter to stand for atleast 8 hours for it to ferment.
- Heat the griddle and coat the griddle with oil.
- Add a ladle full of batter on the griddle. Do not spread the batter too much.
- Cook both sides until they are done.
- Serve hot with saagu. (I made vegetable saagu)
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped beans
- 1/2 cup chopped potatoes
- 1/4 cup peas
- 1 medium chopped tomato
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 2 curry leaves
- Mustard seeds for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Pinch of asafoetida
- Curry leaves for garnishing
For Gravy :
- 2 spoons khus-khus /poppy seeds
- handful of grated coconut
- 2 pieces of clove
- small piece of cinnamon stick
- 2 green chillies
- 1 teaspoon fried dhal / pottu kadalai
- Fry khus-khus, coconut, clove, cinnamon stick and fried dhal in a pan until they turn brown. Add green chillies and grind all the roasted ingredients in a blender to make a fine paste.
- Cook all the vegetables in 2 cups of water.
- In a pan, add 2 tablespoon of oil and when the oil is heated, add the mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds pop, add the chopped onions and curry leaves and sauté until the onions turn brown.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, turmeric, salt and asafoetida and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked vegetables, gravy and 1/2 cup water and cook for 10 minutes. (add less or more water according to the required consistency)
- Remove from heat and serve hot.
- This side dish can also be served with poori.