In India, our breakfast items are rarely sweet so I could not enjoy consuming oats in porridge form This prompted me to make a spicy dish using oats.
Serves : 1
You need :
- 3/4 cup of quick 1-minute oats
- 1/6 cup of water
- 1/3 cup of chopped carrots
- 1/3 cup of chopped potatoes
- 1/3 cup of peas
- 1/3 cup of chopped tomatoes
- 1 small sized onion
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3 green chillies
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- pinch of asefoetida
- coriander leaves/cilantro for garnishing
- Dry roast the oats until it turns slightly brown. Set them aside.
- Cook all the vegetables (expect tomatoes and onion) seperately.
- In a pan, add oil. When the oil is heated, add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When the mustard seeds pop, add the chopped onion and fry them until they turn brown.
- Add the tomatoes, turmeric, salt, green chillies,asefoetida and fry for a minute.
- Now add all the cooked vegetables and fry them for a minute.
- Add water and bring it to boil.
- Now add the roasted oats and cook them in medium flame for about 5 minutes with occasional stirring. (do not cover the pan with the lid).
- Add the cilantro and turn the heat off.
It tastes best when served hot.